I was given an opportunity to try The Produce Box free and all opinions are my own. Strawberry, Goat Cheese, Avocado, Arugula Salad with Beer Brined Chicken and Limoncello Poppyseed Dressing
Did y’all have a wonderful weekend and Mother’s Day? We certainly did, which is why I’m a little late to the party this week. Speaking of parties, we are rolling out this week in style with a double boozy strawberry and goat cheese salad. Now, I know a strawberry and goat cheese salad isn’t the most original idea on the planet and there are many delicious recipes out there.
So I added my own boozy style and twist to an old classic. I took some of NoDa Brewing Company’s CAVU Blonde Ale and brined a couple of chicken breasts. I chose CAVU because it’s a delicious summery beer with tropical fruit and citrus notes that makes it the perfect complement to a chicken and strawberry salad with limoncello dressing. Trust me.
Trivia tip: CAVU is a flight term that means Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited and one of the brewery owners is an experienced pilot. How cool is that?!?!
Next I grabbed a bottle of limoncello and whipped up a perfect dressing to finish off this salad. Again. Trust me. I’m not exactly sure what in tarnation made me put limoncello in salad dressing, but the angels started singing. Ok. Maybe I hit the bottle and imagined the angels, but either way it’s a game changer.
Of course, I’m always inspired by beer and all things boozy, but this time the salad inspiration came from some beautiful strawberries and everything else fell into place. As a member of the Charlotte Food Bloggers, I was lucky enough to receive a free trial from the kind people at The Produce Box. The Produce Box is delivers fresh local produce and specialty items, such as meats, cheeses, and breads all over North Carolina.
Remember when I said I was up to my eyeballs in strawberries?!?!?! I ordered some in my produce box then my garden exploded with strawberries! I certainly had enough to share, but I was on a mission to keep the birds from making a habit of dining on my berries! There were many shenanigans happening over here from pounding on the windows, to garden hoses, to running and hand waving. Needless to say, expect a few more strawberry dishes. I’ll also be sharing another recipe later this week from The Produce Box contents.
I’ve got to go watch Dancing With the Stars now, so I hope y’all have a fantastic week!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 16 ounce can of beer - (I used NoDa Brewing Company's CAVU Blonde Ale because it has fruit and citris notes to complement the chicken and the salad)
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 avocado, removed from shell, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2-3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- a few pinches salt
- a few pinches pepper
- a few pinches garlic powder
- 6-8 cups arugula
- 1/2 small shallot, diced
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppyseeds
- 3 tablespoons Limoncello
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine chicken and beer in a zipper bag or container with a lid, refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining all ingredients to a mason jar, cover with the lid and shake vigorously, set aside
- Remove chicken from the beer brine and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet
- Discard beer brine - sadly, you can't drink it now
- Sprinkle chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Broil chicken for 6-8 minutes each side, or until the internal temperature is 160 in the thickest part
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the salad
- In one very large bowl or two big salad bowls, add arugula and top with strawberries, avocado, and goat cheese
- Top with chicken and almonds
- Serve with dressing
Full Disclosure: NoDa Brewing Company did not sponsor this post. I just really love them and their beer!