Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Hi, y’all! Can you believe it’s Monday again already? Did you have a great weekend with beautiful weather?
I have to say that the weather in Charlotte this weekend was beyond perfect. We woke up Friday morning with open windows and one of those spontaneous spring soaking rains that left as fast as it arrived, leaving sunshine and warm weather in its wake.
Spring is in full swing here and the weekend was full of sunshine and lovely breezes. We spent most of it outside and I’m happy to report that I finished planting my garden. We have a lots of tomato plants in different varieties, onions, squash, zucchini, cucumber, a ton of herbs, and (of course) beets! I found both yellow and red beet plants at the farmer’s market on Saturday and brought home a dozen. Woot!
And do you know about or have you heard of this wonderful herb called CHOCOLATE MINT?!?!?!
Where has this been all my life? I went a bit nuts and bought three plants. Can you imagine the potential? I don’t know about you, but I’ve got a chocolate mint mojito or two heavily on my mind. I’m just sayin’…
Oh! You will also be relieved to know that Chris fixed the dishwasher! Yay! It sure is handy to be married to a genius!
So anyway, we were talking about how fast the weekend flies by. I have zero idea where in tarnation the time goes, but holy cow here we are almost at the end of April and Cinco de Mayo is next week! Say whaaaaaaat?
It’s not Cinco de Mayo without a party and it’s not a Cinco de Mayo party without tacos! I decided this party needed shrimp tacos. In fact we need shrimp tacos with two serving options for this party. Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa or Shrimp Tacos just piled high with all things delicious.
Both are finished with cilantro or parsley and a lime wedge and either way is ok with me! That is, either with avocado salsa or just piled high is ok with me, but I left the cilantro and jalapenos off of mine!
Since we’re partying on this Monday, I’ll remind you that we’re still in the throws of a $300 Amazon gift card giveaway! That means there is still time for you to enter! Scroll down for the Rafflecopter entry form and don’t forget to check out the websites form some of the other giveaway participants! GO!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, plus another tablespoon for brushing the corn
- pinch of cayenne - according to how much spice you like
- couple of pinches of salt and pepper (I use white pepper)
- 4-5 limes
- 2 ears corn
- 1/4 small head of purple cabbage, shredded then chopped
- 3-4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2-3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 avocados, pitted, removed from shells, thinly sliced or diced (see options for serving instructions) - drizzle with lime juice to keep from oxidizing
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup or so of Queso Fresco or Cojita Cheese, if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish, if desired
- Combine shrimp, garlic, olive oil, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large zip top bag or covered container, refrigerate 20-30 minutes
- Heat grill or grill pan on high heat
- Lightly brush corn with olive oil
- Grill corn over high heat until cooked on all sides, turning often - alternatively put corn in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, turn off heat
- Using a knife over a bowl or cutting board, slice corn kernals off the cobs, leaving some of them connected to each other
- Remove shrimp from marinade, discard marinade
- Grill shrimp either on skewers on a grill or individually on a grill pan or skillet 2-4 minutes each side, until opaque - timing depends on size of shrimp
- Squirt the juice of 1 or two limes over cooked shrimp
- Heat a dry nonstick skillet over high heat
- Add tortillas one at a time and heat about 1 minute each side or heat according to package directions
- Combine tomatoes, corn, 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley, diced avocado, and the juice from 1 or two limes in a bowl, set aside
- Top flour tortillas with 5-6 shrimp each, add avocado salsa, finish with purple cabbage, radishes, jalapeno, remaining cilantro or parsley, cheese, and lime wedges
- Instead of making the avocado salsa, leave the avocado in slices and just assemble the tacos with shrimp and toppings as desired, garnish with cilantro or parsley, cheese, and serve with lime wedges