Let’s have dinner, shall we?
I’ve been so neglectful lately. Life just keeps getting in the way of my hobby, so I feel I owe you an entire meal. Do you forgive me? I made you bacon. And cooked your vegetables in bacon grease. I also included spinach, so it’s healthy too! Right?
How was your week? Your weekend? What have you been up to? Tell me everything!
We continue with the home improvement projects. We’ve been cutting back
ginormous trees bushes to make room for the new fence. The old one is compromised and the kids dogs keep escaping. They’re little delinquents running around the neighborhood wreaking havoc, and scaring children and old people. So our new fence is a must and should contain the little monsters angels. I don’t know why I call them little. There’s nothing little about them.
On Wednesday we went a splashin’ through the mud and the muck – name that song. We had to move all those branches we cut from the backyard to the curb for the trash pick up on Thursday. Weelbarrow by wheelbarrow. Did I mention that it rained every dang day last week? Can I catch a break here? Apparently not because the City of Charlotte decided not to pick them up. Grrrr. Have you ever battled with the city? Three phone calls and those piles are still there. We’ll see if they’re gone when I get home tonight.
So I made you some Mahi Mahi with blueberry sauce and piled it on top of whipped goat cheese and nutmeg creamed spinach.
Cheers! Here’s to a new week! I hope it’s a good one!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 Mahi Mahi Filets, dried with a paper towel
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested, divided
- 4 pieces of bacon, reserve 1 tablespoon grease
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Combine blueberries, water, honey, and juice and zest of one lemon in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick - about 20 minutes
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet or heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Add Mahi Mahi filets and cook 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked all the way through - timing will depend on thickness
- Top with juice and zest from one lemon
- Pour as much blueberry sauce on top as desired
- Fry bacon until crispy, remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan.
- Heat pan with bacon grease on medium-high, add onion and saute 3 minutes
- Add garlic and as much spinach as will fit in the pan, keep stirring and adding spinach until it is all in the pan
- Grate half of the (1/8 teaspoon) nutmeg (or add dried) on the spinach, stir to combine
- While the spinach is cooking down add cream, goat cheese and the other half (1/8 teaspoon) of the nutmeg to a food processor and pulse to combine
- When spinach is cooked all the way, stir in whipped goat cheese and crumbled bacon