Y’all, I have the most exciting news!
I grew beets! No joke! I’m sorry if that isn’t as exciting to you as it is to me, but I’ve never really grown anything but basil. Oh, and a couple of serrano peppers for Chris. And you’ve met me, right? I LOVE and totally HEART beets!
I also grew some random tomatoes. The tomatoes that are growing best in my garden right now are not actually in my garden. They are growing by the side of my house where I tossed some unattractive tomatoes last summer. Now the’re ginormous plants with green tomatoes all over them ready to explode into a welcome invasion of red tomatoes that I’m not sure what in tarnation I’ll do with.
So yay me for growing some beets! I kept them true to their best flavor and roasted them. Then I just tossed them with some basil and balsamic and put them in a bowl.
I’m glad I did.
- 8-10 beets
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425
- Individually wrap each beet in a foil packet drizzled with olive oil - the beet not the packet 🙂
- Roast for about 1 hour, depending on size, let cool
- Peel, then dice, slice, cube, or whatever floats your boat.
- Toss in balsamic
- Garnish with basli