Are y’all on sugar overload yet from all these cookies for The Sweetest Season Sweetest Cookie Giveaway? There’s still time to enter and be sure to check out all the other fantastic recipes by searching #sweetestseasoncookies or clicking on the links in the highlighted post link two lines above. I did some serious face plants after seeing some of the epic creativity my friends have posted!
I think this may be my last post for the event because I am on sugar overload and 4 days in a row is totally a lot for me! Seriously, dudes. I have 4 dogs, a social life, a full time job, and this here website. I be busy, yo!
So unless I get ambitious, the moon is in it’s seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, my kitchen cleans itself, and the pulled muscle from my bum to my knee cures itself, this is my last post for the week of this fun The Sweetest Season event.
But not to worry, if you are into my ramblings and shenanigans I’ll be here next week. I found something I was looking for, so I hope to make it over the weekend, not jack it up, and share it with you next week. Fingers crossed.
Can someone please focus me? I don’t know what in tarnation happens (I’m totally sure it has nothing to do with booze), but I tend to get lost in my own head. I mean, can we finally talk about the subject matter of this post? Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting? About time.
This is another one of the recipes I hijacked from my gram’s recipe box and has always been my #1 favorite cookie recipe of all time.
It was the first thing I went looking for in this recipe box after my mom gave it to me. I actually just put the box in a special place in my kitchen and didn’t open it for quite some time, but when I did this pumpkin cookie recipe was what I was looking for.
Clearly this recipe card has been around for quite some time. I’m fairly certain I’ve said this before, but just to be clear, this is not a accurate reflection of my age. I’m just sayin’….
When I found this recipe card I felt like I won the lottery because (as you may have seen from my mom’s comments here and there – she goes by Mags 🙂 hi Mom!) my gram probably only wrote down about half of her recipes. She just put stuff together and made magic. I’m not sure we will ever figure out her pineapple upside down cake or that dang chocolate cake made with coffee, but I’ll be sure to let you know if we do!
Happy Holidays, friends!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Mix together sugar, pumpkin, and shortening
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and mix well
- Cover and chill overnight
- Preheat oven to 350
- Use a 1 tablespoon size scoop or two tablespoons to drop on parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake 12-15 minutes
- Cool on baking pan for a few minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely
- Combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla bean paste in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- Mix on low until combined, then increase speed to medium and mix until smooth
- Top each pumpkin cookie with a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese frosting - or as much as desired
Note: These cookies look like a biscuit and have the texture of a cake. Top them with tons of cream cheese frosting and you’ll be gobsmacked!
I received free product from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Beer Girl Cooks!