Hello Summer! I’ve missed you, old friend.
Nothing says summer more than a caprese salad. Well, maybe watermelon and grilling. I had so much watermelon and I already pureed it and added booze so what’s left to do? Throw it on the grill.
Now we all know that I tend to make things
janky rustic and that’s the way I’m rolling here.
I could have done some precision artistry with my big ole knife and made uniform shapes or some business like that.
But I didn’t. The truth is that I started to and just got over it. I was ready to get my grill on with this watermelon caprese.
And it was time for dinner.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 or so cups of watermelon pieces
- salt according to taste
- 8 ounces mozzarella
- 15 or so basil leaves
- Bring balsamic to a boil in a small sauce pan, reduce to medium and reduce by about half and thick
- Salt watermelon according to tase - I used about 1/4 teaspoon on all the watermelon and found it to be a bit insufficient
- Grill watermelon 2-3 minutes each side - you can do this on a grill or use a grill pan on the stove
- While watermelon is grilling, cut up the mozzarella into slices, then quarters
- Let the watermelon cool and drain a bit so it doesn't get soggy
- Arrange watermelon on a platter, top with mozzarella and basil
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction
- Serve immediately
Note: I think grilled peaches and/or plums would be a nice addition with the watermelon.