Grab your tongs and get your grill on!
I’ve been grilling and putting beer in everything I can get my hands on lately. There is no beer in this post, but stay tuned – there are some beer dishes and brewing posts coming very soon. For now, how ’bout we just grill up a salad.
I’ve been totally obsessed with mangoes lately too. Which is weird – I have never been a big fan of the mango. I didn’t grill them, but I did add one to the salad and tossed another one in the blender to make not one, but two salad dressings.
Yeah – a hers and his because that’s the way we roll around here – some of us like it spicy and some of us are weenies.
I’ll leave it to you to figure out who is who.
Happy weekend, Y’all!
- 1 lemon, both juice and zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, grated, or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon DIjon mustard
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, grated, or pressed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 red chili pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head radicchio, cut into quarters or eighths - depending how big
- 8-10 asparagus stalks
- 1 head romaine halved, or a package of romaine pre-washed and separated
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a zip top bag
- Add shrimp, seal, and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Combine all ingredients except the water in a blender and blend until smooth
- Use water to thin 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency
- I removed about half the dressing into a Mason jar then threw the chili pepper into the blender with the remaining dressing and blended until somewhat smooth
- Heat grill or grill pan on high, lightly coat with cooking spray
- Toss radicchio, asparagus, and romaine in olive oil and salt to taste
- Add radicchio and asparagus to hot grill or grill pan and grill for 3-4 minutes, depending on size, turning radicchio 1-2 times and asparagus every minute or so
- Remove from grill to a platter and tent with foil
- Remove shrimp from marinade into a bowl, discard marinade
- Add shrimp to grill or grill pan, cook in 2 -3 batches if you don&#039;t have enough room to do all at once (I did 2 batches) about 2 minutes on one side and flip, cook another minute or so, depending on size - remove slightly before they are done and put on plate and lightly cover with foil tent, repeat with the rest of the shrimp
- Grill romaine - a couple of minutes if using a whole head split in half, about 1 minute for single leaves
- Add romaine and asparagus to the platter with the radicchio, arrange avocado and mango on same platter and toss shrimp and any juices from the plate over the top
- Serve with dressing
- Here is the deal on the divided dressing – I do not like spicy food, but for Chris – the hotter the better!. I usually end up dividing things up and adding a bunch of spice to one and leaving the other without. That’s what I did here. I split up the dressing and added a chili pepper for Chris. I seeded it and he said he would have like more heat, so use your own judgment.
- You can also add more dried cayenne pepper to the shrimp marinade. I could taste it and Chris could not, so it really depends on your tolerance. For a scale – I have none and Chris is off the charts spicy man.
Update: For some reason I must have lost my mind and in the recipe had only 2 tablespoons of olive oil. It now reads 1/4 cup and depending on your taste could be 1/3. Also, salt and pepper to your preferences.