I made some chocolate covered strawberries for my mom on Mother’s Day. I’m a firm believer that homemade gifts are the best. Don’t get me wrong. I totally appreciate any gift that I’m given. It’s just that there’s a lot to be said for the thought that goes into a homemade gift.
Even if it’s something simple.
Like a handful of strawberries and a couple of bags of chocolate.
Even if you step it up and get jumbo ones.
There’s no need to be complicated. Just melt some chocolate and decorate some strawberries.
It’s ok if you get a little sloppy or heavy handed and some turn out a bit on the ugly side. It adds character and makes it obvious that you didn’t buy them at a grocery or a high end bakery. Your mom will still love them.
You totally don’t have to wait for a holiday or a special occasion. Even though that’s what I did here.
Just do it because you love your mom. I promise you it will make her day.
This isn’t a recipe post as much as a reminder that sometimes the simplest and uncomplicated things in life are the best. I’m keeping things short and simple today, but I realized that more people are reading this little website than just my mom and Jennifer, so I have updated my about page. You can go check it out if you’re looking for more to read.
Cheers and have a great weekend!
- 12 or so jumbo strawberries
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips (you can use any kind of chocolate you like)
- 6 oz white chocolate
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Rinse and completely dry strawberries. I let them dry overnight. If there is any water or soft bruised spots it will totally jack up your chocolate coating process
- Melt shortening and dark or whatever type of chocolate according to package directions
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper
- Holding strawberries by the stem, dip each in chocolate and set on prepared baking sheet
- Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes
- Melt 1 tablespoon shortening and white chocolate according to package directions
- Using a fork, dip it into the melted white chocolate and sling it back and forth across the chocolate coated strawberries
- Chill another 30 minutes minimum