I know that we’ve been talking about some unsexy veggies, but dudes, we are into the second week of November and we need to be riding the side dish train. Thanksgiving’s a coming! I don’t know about y’all, but Thanksgiving for me is not so much about the turkey – although it’s good on the smoker! I’m all about the sides. OMG! #Stuffing!
I have to confess. I could make the whole meal out of stuffing and Brussels sprouts. Oh. And I can’t forget my one true love – potatoes. Mashed. With butter, roasted garlic, and gravy. I would’t turn down some goat cheese either. I digress. And confess. I have not been a lover of the Brussels for very long. I’ve said it before, but it’s worth repeating. Don’t be a Brussels hater. If they’re done right you’ll love them.
Now that I love the sprout, we have this little veggie a lot. We don’t hide it in the closet until the holidays. It’s always a hit at dinner parties, so we usually bust out the bacon, gorgonzola, and Brussels for both regular dinners and special occasions. It’s that good and that flexible. It fits in anywhere with those events that are appropriate for either old blue jeans or the LBD.
I first fell in love with the Brussels at a restaurant in Hickory, NC about a year ago. We went to Hickory for a beer judging event and had dinner at The Station. These Bacon Gorgonzola Brussels were on the sides menu. I did my best to recreate them. We love them. So when I was thinking about what I want on my TG table and what sides I can share with you, these BS were at the top of the list.
I shared them about a year ago right after I discovered that I actually like the Brussels when made right, but the pics were lost when I relaunched my website. So we are doing this thing again. I also saw the error of my ways and changed the recipe to one skillet and cooking them up in some of the bacon grease.
Give BS a chance with bacon and gorgonzola or try some others:
Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Chestnuts and Cider Vinaigrette by Beer Girl Cooks
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter Drizzle by Ciao Chow Bambina
Brussels Sprouts and Pearl Onion Gratin by No Spoon Necessary
Roasted Brussels Sprout, Apple, and Quinoa Salad by Veganosity
Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries, Pecans, and Balsamic Drizzle by The Local Vegan
Creamy Roasted Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Gratin by Cookie and Kate
Miso Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries by Life Made Sweeter
Here’s a roundup by Cooking LSL
Shaved Broccoli Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad with Truffle Parmesan Dressing by Blogging Over Thyme
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Horseradish Honey-Mustard Glaze by The Beach House Kitchen
- 3 pieces of thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts, cleaned, trimmed, tough outer leaves removed, and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 - 2 tablespoons gorgonzola crumbles
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add bacon, and cook until crispy, 3-5 minutes
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain
- Discard all the bacon grease except 2 tablespoons - leave in pan
- Heat the bacon grease up to medium high and add Brussels sprouts, cook for 5 minutes, stirring often
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until softened, but still with texture, not soggy, stirring every few minutes
- Add gorgonzola and bacon pieces, cover and cook another couple of minutes until cheese is melted
- Stir and serve